Home / NEWS / No more walk-on girls escorting dart players at games

No more walk-on girls escorting dart players at games

news image

Practice to end, starting this weekend, after pressure from broadcasters and fans





Darts game






The Professional Darts Corporation said it regularly reviews all aspects of its events.
Photograph: Alicia Canter for the Guardian

Darts players will no longer be accompanied at tournaments by “walk-on girls” after pressure from broadcasters and fans.

The practice of models escorting male players on to the stage will cease, starting with this weekend’s Masters tournament in Milton Keynes.

“We regularly review all aspects of our events and this move has been made following feedback from our host broadcasters,” said a Professional Darts Corporation spokesperson.

ITV said it was consulted about the change. “We fully endorse this move,” a spokesman said.

The change was predicted last year by world No 1 and two-time world champion Michael van Gerwen, who said the days of walk-on girls were numbered.

However, more than 6,000 fans have signed a petition calling for their return.

The Women’s Sports Trust, which champions women in sport, supported the move and called on other sports to take notice.

It tweeted:

Women’s Sport Trust
(@WomenSportTrust)

We applaud the Professional Darts Corporation moving with the times and deciding to no longer use walk-on-girls. Motor Racing, Boxing and Cycling….your move. https://t.co/ZHgpBduTGR


January 27, 2018

Read More

About admin

Check Also

More women are finding careers in funeral homes

Buy Photo "This was never part of the plan, but I'm so happy it is," said Emma Keffer, right front, of joining the family business with her sister Grace Keffer Ireland, front left. "Because she's my best friend and my sister." Behind the duo from left are their parents Kristine and Joseph, and their grandfather,…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *